ThinkTinker

Messing With My Head
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spamassassin Permissions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

For the longest time I have been seeing errors such as the following in my maillog:
Code:
spamd[xxxx]: config: cannot write to /home/username/.spamassassion/user_prefs: Permission denied

..among other similar permission errors.

HINT: The primary clue is in the error message ... more on that, near the end of this message.

It was definitely a permissions problem, but not in the way you might think. This is actually a fairly common issue with Spamassassin admins because it looks like one kind of problem, but it turns out to be something a little different.

First, most admins look at the user's home directory to make sure everything 'belongs' to that user. Usually, everything DOES belong to that user.

Second, most admins look at whether Spamassassin is working, both that it is running and that it is parsing mail and scoring stuff. Usually, it is.

Third, most admins look at how Spamassassin is running, and frequently they don't know what to look for because the installation of Spamassassin creates a bunch of initialization files set up with common values ... and this is where the issue lies.

I found my fix when I tracked the spamd process back to its origins.

ps aux | grep spamd revealed to me that the spamd process was running as the user named 'spam'. This was set up during installation. The problem was that the user 'spam' is unprivileged ... it is a normal user ... so the spamd daemon did not have the correct authority to do its job.

I started tracking the user assignment in /etc/init.d/spamassassin, the init script created during installation, and saw that it included the following variable assignments:
Code:
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H"
SPAMD_PID=/var/run/spamd.pid

and execution command string:
Code:
daemon $NICELEVEL spamd $SPAMDOPTIONS -r $SPAMD_PID

Looks fine ... but my ps aux listing showed this:
Code:
root 4002 0.0 2.9 36056 30284 ? Ss /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m5 -H --username spam -r /var/run/spamd.pid

First, note that the spamd binary is running as the user 'root', which is exactly what we want, and which was also set up during installation.

However note the extra parameter (--username spam) in the initialization string. Hmmm ... where was that coming from? undoubtedly this was the problem ... the Spamassassin daemon CHILD instances were running as the unprivileged user 'spam' because that was somehow being included in the startup parameters But where?

How about in this file: /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin?

Bingo!

The only line in /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin read:
Code:
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H --username spam"

Clearly this file is being used to initialize the daemon's variables, overriding the variable assignment made in the init.d startup script.

I removed --username spam from /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin, restarted the daemon with service spamassassin restart and ... voila ... errors gone, and Spamassassin is happily writing prefs and other spammy goodness to the individual users' directories ... just as God intended.

The HINT, at the start of this message, refers to the start of the error message where it is indicated that the USER who is having problems is spamd. Since the CHILD processes all ran as unprivileged user spam, the HINT tells us that user spamd could not do what it wanted ... spam was not even in the equation. I should have recognized that this error was being generated by the DAEMON, and not by the process children. Directory permissions were irrelevant ... the issue was WHO was Spamassassin running as. The issue was solved by not specifying a user, and just letting Spamassassin switch identities as needed ... now my maillog includes entries such as:
Code:
spamd[xxxx]: spamd: setuid to user succeeded

Just right.